Happy Fourth of July to all! Seeing as this day celebrates my home country, I decided to make this Thankfulness Thursday a patriotic one. Too often, I hear people complain about their country or state. Although the USA (or any other nation for that matter) is not perfect, it is a wonderful place to live. I am truly grateful to live here.
23. Minnesota. My home state is so wonderful. Snow-covered Christmases, clear lakes and rivers, corn-filled fields, lush green woods, meadows filled with colorful flowers, gentle deer peeking out from the forests – one could not ask for a more beautiful home. Add “Minnesota nice” to this when everyone is very kind and non-aggressive. Living here is a true gift.
24. Freedom. Although rather cliche, freedom does prevail in the United States. My thoughts and prayers go out to all countries that struggle and dream of the freedom that we enjoy.
25. The Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. Having these two great oceans on either side of our country is amazing. Both of them are beautiful and fun to explore.
26. Diversity. Often called the melting pot, the USA is open to all races, religions, and types of people. You never know who you will meet or what their personality will be like. Although the uncertainty raises my anxiety, it also leads to opening my eyes to the lives of others and unique friendships.
27. Democracy. Often I forget about the importance of our ability to choose our government. Yet this is a vital part of the foundations of my country.
28. San Diego. My aunt and uncle live in this city and I have visited them twice. Full of palm trees, beaches, and fun sites, this is one of my favorite places. One day I hope to return.
29. Broadway. As a theater lover, I have always wanted to be on Broadway. Though I doubt that will happen, I still dream of my stage debut at times.
30. Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Ronald Reagan, Teddy Roosevelt, and other great presidents. We have had many outstanding leaders. Ronald Reagan has a special place in my heart although he is not one of the founding fathers or heroic changers. Something about his warm smile and honesty touches me.
31. State and County Fairs. Although I have never attended Minnesota’s state fair, I enjoy the county fairs very much. Entertainment, animals, artwork, rides, games, food, lots of people, and items for sale – although it is a bit much for me, most people find it great fun. I do enjoy the art exhibits and baby animals a great deal.
32. Disney and Pixar. Walt Disney still is one of my heroes. Despite the crowds and noise, I enjoyed Disney Land when I went years ago. These studios put out wonderful films.
33. Bing Crosby, Dick Van Dyke, and Bob Denver (Gilligan on Gilligan’s Island). These men were my first crushes growing up. Silly, I know, but they are true American stars.
34. Great Literature. Books such as Tom Sawyer, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, and other such books will be handed down for ages are great art that depict parts of the USA.
Links to previous posts: