No, I did not just get out of bed. Right before 8:00 this morning, I woke up completely and began my day. However, since I have stayed in the house working on school, I have not yet put on street clothes.
The other day when I did this, my father laughed at me kindly. “You are still in your pajamas! That’s cute.” Word to the wise: do not tease your young adult daughter about her clothing. Needless to say, I was a bit cranky with my response. Wearing pajamas was not so much a choice as a symbol of not having time to get dressed. Feeling guilty about being lazy and ugly, I did not want anyone to remind me of my current attire.
However, I realized that wearing your pajamas can be a coping skill especially in the fall or winter. Instead of looking at it as a guilty pleasure or laziness, one can view it as a vacation of sorts. When someone goes to the beach, they wear swimsuits. If you travel to London, you bring an umbrella. Touring Russia or Minnesota in the winter requires a warm coat. So why shouldn’t you be able to spend a day relaxing in your pajamas?
However, pajama days are not simply about what you wear just like going scuba diving is not about the suit you put on. The clothing that you wear simply helps you to enjoy or participate in activities. Thus, I think one can plan a day that involves wearing your pajamas and use it as a relaxing (and cheap) vacation.
There are many things that this day might involve but I am just going to give a few of my ideas.
- Build a fire in a fireplace and still near it curled up in a blanket with a good book. If you do not have a fireplace, do the same thing in a comfy chair or bed.
- Have warm soothing liquids and foods such as hot chocolate, tea, soup, oatmeal, and apple cider.
- Play a board game with your family.
- Light candles that smell wonderful all around the house.
- Do not look in the mirror and try to forget worrying about how you look.
- Watch a movie that makes you feel good.
- Take a nap if you need one. Just allow yourself to rest.
So, today was not this type of pajama day for me. However, I hope to have one in the future. Maybe you will like this idea too. Just remember that there is nothing wrong with allowing yourself to have a little break from hectic everyday life.