Bipolar is a term that is thrown around much too often in casual conversation. “She is so bipolar. You never know what mood you will find her in or what will make her upset.” No, you probably mean to say that she is moody. If she really does have bipolar disorder, than that is still a rather compassionate way to discuss her illness.
Thus, I decided to put together a list of quotes about bipolar that will hopefully raise awareness about this difficult mental illness. Although I do not struggle with it, several of my good friends do. They are brave warriors who need great energy and resilience to get maintain stability. Even then, battling this illness is nearly impossible alone. Please reach out to your medical care team, family, and friends instead of trying to power through it by yourself. My hope is that these quotes can give you hope and others (including myself) wisdom.
- “I’m fine, but I’m bipolar. I’m on seven medications, and I take medication three times a day. This constantly puts me in touch with the illness I have. I’m never quite allowed to be free of that for a day. It’s like being a diabetic.” – Actress and author Carrie Fisher
- “When you are mad, mad like this, you don’t know it. Reality is what you see. When what you see shifts, departing from anyone else’s reality, it’s still reality to you.” – Madness: A Bipolar Life by Marya Hornbacher
- “Bipolar disorder can be a great teacher. It’s a challenge, but it can set you up to be able to do almost anything else in your life.” – Actress and author Carrie Fisher
- “Bipolar robs you of that which is you. It can take from you the very core of your being and replace it with something that is completely opposite of who and what you truly are. Because my bipolar went untreated for so long, I spent many years looking in the mirror and seeing a person I did not recognize or understand. Not only did bipolar rob me of my sanity, but it robbed me of my ability to see beyond the space it dictated me to look. I no longer could tell reality from fantasy, and I walked in a world no longer my own.” – Letters from a Bipolar Mother by author and advocate Alyssa Reyans
- “I have been cut in two.” – Poet Anne Sexton
- “Creativity is closely associated with bipolar disorder. This condition is unique . Many famous historical figures and artists have had this. Yet they have led a full life and contributed so much to the society and world at large. See, you have a gift. People with bipolar disorder are very very sensitive. Much more than ordinary people. They are able to experience emotions in a very deep and intense way. It gives them a very different perspective of the world. It is not that they lose touch with reality. But the feelings of extreme intensity are manifested in creative things. They pour their emotions into either writing or whatever field they have chosen.” – Life is What You Make It by author and artist Preeti Shenoy
- “I feel sorry for every Therapist, Psychologist, and Psychiatrist I’ve ever met. I know I’ve put thoughts in their mind they will never forget.” – Author Stanley Victor Paskavich
- “I feel like I’m a snow globe and someone shook me up and now every little piece of me is falling back randomly and nothing is ending up where it used to be.” – Crazy by Amy Reed
- “One of things so bad about depression and bipolar disorder is that if you don’t have prior awareness, you don’t have any idea what hit you.” – Psychologist and author Kay Redfield Jamison
- “I’m bipolar, but I’m not crazy, and I never was. I’m stark raving sane.” – Singer Emilie Autumn
If you have any quotes that you would like to share, please do so in the comments.