Everyone deals with anxiety in their life whether it is fear of presenting in front of others or dread about dying. Maybe you have generalized anxiety disorder or maybe you just get nervous every so often. While some of these worries keep us safe, they can also hold us back from trying new things and accomplishing our dreams. Here are a few ways to manage your anxiety.
- Breathe deeply – Count to ten and inhale deeply through your nose. Then exhale for the same amount of time out of your mouth. Continue this while concentrating only on your breath for a few minutes.
- Draw or scribble – Using pencils, paints, crayons, or any medium that you prefer, take a few moments to create something. The final product is not what is important but releasing pent up energy. Because of this, rapid scribbling might actually be the most helpful.
- Take a cool swim or a hot bath – Either of these sensations will help you to relax and calm down. Let your body adjust to the new environment while you take time to soak in water.
- Rub on lotion – Massage lotion into your arms, legs, hands, or feet. This sensation can calm the body especially if you use one of your favorite scents.
- Watch a humorous film – Laughter can be a great remedy if your fears keep haunting you. Alternately, a favorite movie that makes you feel good inside might be substituted.
- Make a list of your worries and destroy it – This might sound like it will only increase the anxiety. However, it can be healing if you feel ready to let go of certain fears.
- Talk about your anxiety – Find someone that you trust and tell them all about what is bothering you. This person should be someone who will listen without judging but offer comfort and camaraderie.