Often, this world feels scary and unsafe. I hide in the car from strangers passing by with shopping carts or struggling to slow my drumming heart as a man walks past and looks at me. Sometimes, life feels like a game of hide-and-seek or tag where you are constantly trying to get away from someone or something.
Thus, creating a safe space (or several) is very important. These can come in many forms in many places and even be just in your imagination. However, they should help you to feel secure and peaceful.
Here are some of my safe places to give you a few ideas:
- A soft bed with a big blanket and lots of stuffed animals as well as plenty of good books and/or movies
- A dock on a clear river surrounded by green trees
- A forest path with a bridge over a stream
- A dark closet or small space
- A warm bubble bath
- A hug from someone that I trust
What are safe places for you? Remember, they can be a place you go in your mind.