Being away from family, the company I want to work for, and the normalcy of Minnesota has been hard. Throw in getting a job that was not what I expected when I applied and waiting to hear back from other companies, and you will find me feeling pretty worthless.
On so many levels, I feel frustrated and broken. This stage of life is just so hard even without mental illness making it more difficult.
That, however, does not give me cause to give up entirely. Instead, I am trying to find things that make me feel less worthless as a person. Here are a few reminders for myself and, more importantly, for all of you that we are not worthless.
- “Rough diamonds may sometimes be mistaken for worthless pebbles.” – Thomas Browne
- I May Be Strong But… – We all need others to help us through our struggles sometimes.
- Video: Geum Jan Di “Fight Song” – This is one tough girl who had it way harder than me. Her fight reminds me not to give up or feel worthless.
- “Surround yourself with the right people, and realize your own worth. Honestly, there are enough bad people out there in the world – you don’t need to be your own worst enemy.” – Lucy Hale
- The Saddest People – If you feel worthless, you do not want anyone else to have to feel that same way.
- Video: You’re Not Worthless – A helpful reminder for us all, this video is heartfelt and true.
- “Poor is the man who does not know his own intrinsic worth and tends to measure everything by relative value. A man of financial wealth who values himself by his financial net worth is poorer than a poor man who values himself by his intrinsic self worth.” – Sydney Madwed
- God Doesn’t Make Worthless – Turning to my faith always helps me.
- Video: Have Courage and Be Kind – Cinderella might seem worthless to her step-family, but the movie proves her true worth the whole time – that of a princess.
- “People are going to come into your life that need you, and being there for them makes the day worth living. People are going to come into your life that you need, and that’s the crazy thing.” – Amy Grant
What helps you not to feel worthless?