Do you ever find yourself trapped in a dream and unable to awaken? Confused about reality? Fearful of what lies beyond the real world when you close your eyes?
Nightmares are a struggle many people have a some point in time. However, there are some who deal with these frightening images more frequently. Going to sleep can become a great struggle.
Thankfully, my battle with sleep and bad dreams appears to be lessening. Finally, I can rest without dreading the images that chase me during the night.
Still, I understand the difficulty of having reoccurring or prevalent nightmares. Here are some quotes that help me to find courage and also explain how I felt.
- “I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there’s no relief in waking.” – Author Suzanne Collins in Mockingjay
- “I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams.” – Medical researcher Jonas Salk
- “Those heart-hammering nightmares that start to lose coherence even as you’re waking up from them, but that still manage to leave their moldering fingerprints all across your day.” – Author Mike Carey in The Naming of the Beasts
- “Of all the things you choose in life, you don’t get to choose what your nightmares are. You don’t pick them; they pick you.” – Novelist and screenwriter John Irving
- “I still get nightmares. In fact, I get them so often that I should be used to them by now. I’m not. No one really gets used to nightmares.” – Author Mark Danielewski in House of Leaves
- “I don’t know if I’m dreaming while I sleep or sleeping while I awake, but I have reoccurring dreams my mind cannot take.” – Veteran and author Stanley Victor Paskavich
- “But the fact is, dreams catch us with our armor off.” – Fantasy author Victoria Schwab in The Unbound
- “You can shoo people away in real life, but not when they force their way in through the dream door.” – Author Donna Lynn Hope
- “Have you ever noticed there is never any third act to a nightmare? They bring you to a climax of terror and then leave you there.” – Humorist and essayist Max Beerbohm
- “Even if you know you’re dreaming, you’re still at the mercy of your dreams. People who are asleep can’t simply decide to wake up. Nightmares don’t let you off that easily. They hold you in their clutches until they decided, in their own good time, to let you go.” – Author and speaker Steven James in Blur
What are some quotes that helped you with nightmares? How do you manage them? Please share in a comment.